Apparently Freddy now knows how to stir, mix, and taste. Why hasn't he been cooking dinner, I wonder? I do try to walk him through each step when I'm making something (now I'm adding the cinnamon, cracking the shells and adding the eggs, mixing it all together...), so maybe he's figuring it out! For about 20 minutes, he sat on that baking sheet and stirred imaginary things in two different containers, occasionally raising the spoon to taste whatever fabulous dish made of air he was whipping up. It was cute AND allowed me to do the dishes. Gotta love it! When can you start involving kids in the kitchen ... and expect some kind of decent result? Maybe I should leave well enough alone if he's happy with pretend food.
P.S. - this is what I was making:
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.
Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.

0 comments:
Post a Comment